It’s hard to stomach the fact that more than 196,000 South Jersey residents are struggling with access to a basic necessity: food. Working moms and dads trying to make ends meet, kids who don’t eat until their lunch period at school begins, seniors on fixed incomes deciding whether to pay for groceries or their medication – these are the people facing debilitating economic challenges that bar them from leading the healthy lives they deserve. And they live right down the street from you, facing their challenges on an empty stomach. Imagine what you couldn’t do without food and how this simple necessity could disrupt your life.
This September, during Hunger Action Month, the Food Bank of South Jersey is mobilizing with the entire network of Feeding America food banks to raise awareness for the millions of people silently struggling with hunger in our nation today and reminding them that no one deserves to run on an empty stomach.
How can you help? Let us count the ways!
- Dine Out for Hunger… There are three days left to visit a number of local restaurants dedicating a portion of their proceeds to FBSJ’s hunger-relief programs helping kids, seniors, and families in need. Visit any one of the participating restaurants and bakeries on our list here: foodbanksj.org/dineout and mention that you’re there to support the Food Bank of South Jersey!
- Take a Bite Out of Hunger with Your Take-Out Order! Feeling like a quiet night in with a delicious take-out meal? Order your meal on ExpressGrub.com and use coupon code: FBSJ2017 at checkout. ExpressGrub will donate 10% of your subtotal to FBSJ at no cost to you!
- #Share Your Selfie to Spread Awareness…Have an empty paper plate handy? Join in on the Hunger Action Month conversation happening on social media by writing what you couldn’t do on an empty stomach and uploading a selfie with your paper plate. Tag @foodbanksj and use #HungerActionMonth to spread awareness to your followers and ours about how hunger hurts our community.
- Take Action and Volunteer! Ready to roll your sleeves up and help FBSJ in our mission to end hunger in South Jersey? Visit foodbanksj.org/donate-time to learn more about how you can help by sorting food donations, assisting in Healthy Living Initiative community classes, or attending special events.
- Enjoy Your Lunch Break at the FBSJ Headquarters on Food Truck Friday! Take a break on Friday, September 22nd and enjoy the fabulous fare of five area eateries donating a portion of the day’s proceeds to FBSJ. This fun-filled event is also an opportunity to engage with executives from the FBSJ team and talk with them about how we can make a difference together in our area. Get all the details at foodbanksj.org/foodtruck
- Donate! For every $1 that FBSJ receives, we are able to turn that into 5 meals for those in need. Monetary donations are crucial in funding critical programs that stop hunger where it starts. Make your contribution today by visiting donate.foodbanksj.org