- 5 medium apples
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed and divided.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour divided
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ stick 2 ounces cold, unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Rinse and cut apples in half, lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of apple that contains the seeds. Do not peel.
- Place apples cut side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into 1/8 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using, Mix well.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Dice butter into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and flour, oats, and butter. Mix with hands until crumbly. Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture.
- Bake uncovered on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned or bubbly.
- Let stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.