The Food Bank of South Jersey was started by a group of dedicated volunteers, and today volunteers continue to help us feed hungry people in South Jersey. We thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Food Bank of South Jersey.
As we navigate the current COVID 19 situation, please know that FBSJ is continually monitoring the situation and has created a Coronavirus Preparedness plan.
One area of concern at the Food Bank of South Jersey is the interaction of our volunteer work force. We want to ensure that the safety and ease of mind of our volunteer partners are addressed. We suggest all volunteers to exercise safe and healthy judgement in determining your attendance at FBSJ activities and events.
Currently volunteer opportunities with the Food Bank’s operations have not been cancelled however we are limited in the number of volunteers who may attend volunteer activities.
- All Warehouse shifts are limited to no more than 3 volunteer per shift.
- Distribution sites are limited to 10 per site
- All volunteers must be scheduled in advance. We cannot accept walk-ins. Weekend volunteer opportunities are limited on an as-needed basis and we do not have evening opportunities
- Currently all Warehouse volunteers must be 18 or older
- Distribution Volunteers must be 13 years or older and volunteers 13 – 17 must have a parent or guardian present
- Due to the current nature of our programs, volunteers must be able to stand for a considerable amount of time and be able to lift/carry up to 30 pounds
- Please wear comfortable shoes with a closed toe (very important!) in the warehouse
- Please wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing for any outdoor food distributions
- Distribution sites are rain or shine events unless severe weather or extreme heat/cold is forecast
- We rely on the donation of time from volunteers to successfully get food to people in need, if you are not able to attend, please let us know as soon as possible
- Volunteers must provide their own Mask / PPE and Volunteers must practice safe social distancing requirements
Contact Volunteer Service at 856.662.4884 x 160 or email Volunteer Services for more information.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Additional volunteer opportunities are added as they become available.
If you would like to be included in upcoming volunteer opportunity announcements, please sign up at https://signup.com/go/XMCBEop or send your email address to volunteer services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you cannot make it to a scheduled volunteer time, email Volunteer Services, or call them at 856.662.4884 ext. 160
FBSJ Volunteer Code of Conduct
All FBSJ Volunteer are expected to:
- Be Safe by following Township and FBSJ safety and food handling protocols and precautions
- Be Cooperative and work with FBSJ Staff, Supervisors, Co-Volunteers, and Community members
- Be Kind and refrain from obscene, inflammatory, or harassing language or wearing/displaying offensive apparel graphics or texts
- Be Caring and treat all food recipients with dignity and respect regardless of race, color, creed, gender, national origin, disability, or age
- Be Thoughtful Stewards of Food Bank materials, food and information by not damaging materials or food, or divulging sensitive or confidential information
- Be Aware of the environment and alert FBSJ staff to any potential safety problems