From the very beginning, volunteers have been an integral part of all that we do in our communities. The Food Bank was started by volunteers and volunteers continue to be involved throughout all our operations. We would like to thank you for your interest in supporting the work we do in South Jersey.
We want to ensure that the safety and ease of mind of our volunteer partners are addressed. We suggest all volunteers exercise safe and healthy judgment in determining their attendance at FBSJ activities and events.
All volunteers must be scheduled in advance. We cannot accept walk-ins. Weekend volunteer opportunities are limited on an as-needed basis and we do not have evening opportunities at this time.
- All Volunteer work must be scheduled in advance.
- Volunteers must be 13 years or older and volunteers 13 – 17 must have a parent, guardian, or chaperone present during volunteer activities.
- Some opportunities have lifting/standing requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for volunteers in need of assistance
- Closed-Toe shoes are required in the warehouse. Please wear comfortable and weather appropriate clothing for outdoor distributions.
- The Food Bank relies on the donation of time from volunteers to successfully get food to people in need. If you are unable to attend an event, please let the Volunteer Department know.
- Distribution sites are rain or shine events unless severe weather or extreme heat/cold is forecast.
- Warehouse shifts are limited to 8 volunteers per shift. Distribution shift limits are dependent upon on distribution site.
We rely on the donation of time from volunteers to successfully get food to people in need. If you are not able to attend a scheduled volunteer time, please email Volunteer Services, or call them at 856.662.4884 ext. 160.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Warehouse On-Site Volunteer OpportunitiesVolunteers may assist with Packing and Sorting donated food with projects including assembling boxed food for the Senior Program and repacking donated food for agency delivery. These opportunities take place in the FBSJ Warehouse. Shifts are Tuesday through Thursday afternoons with occasional Friday opportunities as needed.
Distribution Off-Site Volunteer OpportunitiesVolunteers may assist with Distributing food at FBSJ distributions sites throughout the four-county service area such as the Hope Mobiles, Pop-Up Pantries and even assisting Partner Agencies. Volunteers assist with unloading, setting up distribution sites, and loading food for recipients.
Programs, Office, and Event Volunteer OpportunitiesVolunteers are also needed to assist throughout the Food Bank of South Jersey’s programs and operations in a variety of activities including:
- Health and Wellness Department
- The SNAP Education outreach team
- Commodity Supplemental Food Program team
- Special Events
- and assisting various programs in the office
Additionally, FBSJ needs volunteers interested in utilizing their knowledge and skills through Skills-Based volunteering opportunities.
Volunteer opportunities are added as they become available. If you would like to be included in upcoming volunteer opportunity announcements, please click either the buttons below.
FBSJ Volunteer Code of Conduct
All FBSJ Volunteer are expected to:
- Be Safe by following Township and FBSJ safety and food handling protocols and precautions
- Be Cooperative and work with FBSJ Staff, Supervisors, Co-Volunteers, and Community members
- Be Kind and refrain from obscene, inflammatory, or harassing language or wearing/displaying offensive apparel graphics or texts
- Be Caring and treat all food recipients with dignity and respect regardless of race, color, creed, gender, national origin, disability, or age
- Be Thoughtful stewards of Food Bank materials, food, and information by not damaging materials or food, or divulging sensitive or confidential information
- Be Aware of the environment and alert FBSJ staff to any potential safety problems