Barley and Lentil Soup
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic large
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14½-ounce) no salt added
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse, peel, and dice carrots and onions. Peel and mince garlic. Rinse and chop spinach.In a colander, rinse barley with cold water.
- In a large pot, add oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions. Cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper to pot. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add barley, water, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a colander, rinse lentils with cold water. Add lentils to pot, along with tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach to soup and stir. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and stir. If using Parmesan cheese, add now.