- 1 cup instant pearl barley
- 4 cups water
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3 medium onions diced
- 2 medium celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 4 ounces ground turkey
- 2 14 ½-ounce cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a colander, rinse barley under cold water.
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring barley, water, and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook barley until tender and water is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.
- In a colander, drain barley. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add onions, celery, pepper, and garlic to pot. Mix well. Cook until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey. Cook until turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a simmer.
- Add spices. Stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat. Cook at a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked barley to the mixture. Stir to combine. Add more water or broth, if needed. Cook over low heat to blend flavors, about 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.