- 1 15oz can beans, low-sodium, any variety
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup rolled oats not instant
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Dice the onion and cook in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat until they are soft. While the onions are cooking, drain the beans and rinse them with cold water.
- Mash beans, chili powder, and ketchup until they form a chunky paste.
- Fold in the cooked onions, oats, and the beaten egg.
- Let the mixture rest for a few minutes then divide it into 4 equal amounts. Using wet hands shape mixture into four equal patties.
- Preheat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Cook the patties, about 5 minutes each side until browned.
- Top each patty with lettuce, tomato, onion and enjoy!