Breakfast Polenta with Fruit
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup polenta/grits
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups blueberries (or fruit of choice)
- 2 tbsp water
- ¼ cup yogurt (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the nondairy milk and water to a boil.
- Stir in the polenta grits, and adjust the heat to medium-low. Cook—covered but vented, stirring occasionally—for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the polenta is creamy.
- Stir in the maple syrup. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the polenta is cooking, warm the blueberries, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.* Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook until the berries start to break down, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash the berries if they are not breaking apart.
- Divide the creamy polenta between 4 bowls, and top each with some berry mixture and yogurt if desired.
Chef Notes: This recipe was made with fresh fruit. If using canned fruit, drain and rinse off syrup. If using frozen fruit, you may have to cook the fruit mixture a little bit longer.
Serving: 335gCalories: 310kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 9gFat: 1.5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 60mgPotassium: 282mgFiber: 6gSugar: 26gCalcium: 179mgIron: 1mg