Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 12-ounce packages fresh cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Optional Ground red pepper
- Optional Cilantro leaves
- Heat a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan: swirl to coat.
- Add shallots: sauté 3 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups water, lite coconut milk, salt, red pepper, and squash; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is tender stirring occasionally.
- Place squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid ( to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
- Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters).
- Blend until smooth. Stir in juice. Garnish with additional pepper and cilantro leaves, if desired.