A Message from Our CEO
Where to begin…
I would like to begin with first saying I hope this message finds you and your family healthy and well, and safely taking every precaution to avoid exposure to the Coronavirus, COVID-19. These are uncertain days…and a time of adjustment for all of us.
- First…our children. For our children, they are no longer seeing their friends at school every day. For those who are fed breakfast, lunch and after school snacks as part of their normal school days, these every day, relied upon routine food resources are now lost to them.
- For all individuals and families, this is an unprecedented time of compromise, caution and concern. Tens of thousands of people throughout our region are working from home – or have had incomes threatened by business closures. Many households simply do not have the funds to buy ample supplies of groceries to adequately stock their kitchens for weeks on end. For thousands of South Jersey households, food security is all of a sudden a new and critical concern. For households in our region already living with the everyday struggle of food insecurity, the situation is even more somber.
- For our seniors, many are now more isolated – and troubled by the financial and physical constraints placed upon them to stock up on food and other resources.
- And then … there are those in our community who are truly heroes among us – those in healthcare, law enforcement and transportation, and other professions that require them to report for duty – no matter what. Let’s not forget our region’s supermarket teams, working under incredible challenges to fulfill extraordinary demands.
At this time of uncertainty, let’s all keep in mind … we are all in this together. I want to take this opportunity to assure you the Food Bank of South Jersey is operating at full capacity. Here are a few things to know about what we are doing, right now, to support South Jersey.
- We are fully operational: Our teams in logistics, warehousing, distribution, advocacy, volunteer management and community engagement are working tirelessly to ensure the flow of food is consistent to our region’s most food-insecure communities.
- We are expanding food distributions: Leveraging our strength as South Jersey’s largest hunger-relief organization, we are expanding capacity and services to provide emergency food resources and greatly extended food distribution services to all in need during this time.
- We are adhering to CDC guidance: We are working closely with State and Federal officials to conduct operations in the safest and most efficient ways possible – as well as adhering to the Center for Disease Control’s strict guidance to distribute food in as LOW TO NO CONTACT ways as possible – keeping social distancing protocols a priority at all food distribution sites throughout our region.
- We are responding! We are currently packing emergency food boxes for distribution throughout our region – with emphasis on supplying nutritious, fresh and shelf-stable food resources for individuals, children, families and seniors.
Please take comfort in knowing that the Food Bank of South Jersey is strong – and here for you.
- If you need food, we have it – visit our website and access our FIND FOOD locator.
- If you want to know the schedule of our upcoming food distributions, visit our website for updated information on our Hope Mobiles and Food Pantry distributions.
- If you want to know how you can help us feed South Jersey at this time, our website has that information too. We welcome your help in DONATIONS to support our Emergency Food Fund.
Remember … We are all in this together.
What is also a priority for us is your SAFETY. We encourage anyone who is receiving food at any of our food distribution locations during this time to adhere to social distancing precautions. Your safety, health and wellness is our top priority – at this time, and always. We will get through these days of uncertainty – and we will be more united than ever. The Food Bank of South Jersey is here for you. We are well prepared and are ready to Feed South Jersey.
Fred C. Wasiak
President & CEO
Food Bank of South Jersey