Summer Vegetable Grilled Cheese
- 10 slices whole wheat bread
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 4 leaves kale or 1 cup spinach
- 6 leaves basil
- Slice the peppers, onions, zucchini, basil, and kale and cheese into thin pieces.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in the sauté pan and cook the onion and pepper for about 2 minutes.
- Add the kale/spinach to the pan and cook the vegetables for an additional 2 minutes or until they have softened. Fold in the basil.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and rest them on a plate. Wipe the pan out and return it to the heat.
- Sear both sides of the zucchini slices in a pan over medium heat. Remove them from the pan.
- Add one teaspoon of oil to the pan and lower the heat. Add one piece of bread to the pan and gently smooth it around to ensure that the oil is evenly spread.
- Layer the cheese onto the bread, followed by two zucchini slices and the mixture of onions, peppers and kale. Top the mixture with a little more cheese and the second slice of bread.
- Flip the sandwich over and use the spatula to press the sandwich. Allow the sandwich to cook until the second side has browned.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and slice it in half. Repeat the process to assemble and grill the additional four sandwiches. Serve the sandwiches with fruit or a salad.
Serving: 187gCalories: 430kcalCarbohydrates: 43gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 540mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7g